Congratulations to the event organizers and CIPS for putting together an excellent program for the inaugural sustainable purchasing summit in London. Some very interesting topics and speakers.
One of the stand-out messages from the day is that sustainable purchasing is delivering substantial and measureable benefits for businesses embracing the concept. The time and money invested to make CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) part of the supply-chain is paying dividends and delivering serious ROI. Reported benefits come from areas such as:
• Financial savings; cutting costs through lean production and avoided risks
• Stakeholder goodwill; enhanced collaboration and innovation
• Corporate values; brand image, recruitment and retention of staff
• Marketing; protecting and increasing sales
• Improved risk management; compliance and regulation
However, embedding CSR in a supply chain remains a significant challenge for a host of reasons, not least because you can be exposed to new risks. Fortunately, there is a growing body of expertise, tools and good practice for purchasers to draw on. Whatever the size and type of business you work for, the message is clear: Sustainable Purchasing is growing in importance, it pays dividends, and is here to stay.
To learn more about supply-chain CSR, you are welcome to contact Tom.Bowers@propurchaser.com